Thursday, June 26, 2008

shamanic practice in the heart of the city

It's a hot day in Chicago, but it was wonderful going down to the lake at Oak Street Beach. Shamanic practice happens in the heart of the city, too - you don't need to be far from the madding crowd. Most of us now adays live in urban settings, and as Contemporary Shaman Leslie Grey says, "You can do shamanism in a phone booth."

As I walk down the street, I greet all the trees, plants and grass, telling htme how beautiful they are. I often sing to them (see/listen to my "Season Songs" CD at cdbaby.com) So many people pass by without this type of connection, that they seem to enjoy and appreciate it when a human greets them.

The garden at the corner of Oak and Michigan is my special place. There I see all my spirit guides. It is truly a grove full of spirits! Today it was particularly lovely, with the scent of the flowering trees in the air at this time of Midsummer, and the bright sunlight energizing the whole scene and bringing the summertime heat. The grass and trees are their deepest green, with all the rain we have been having. And there you have the elements! air, earth, water and fire combining.

At the beach, I greeted the Lady of the Lake, Lake Michigan, bathing my head, face and hands in Her waters.

No comments: